Stylish Expression of Glocal Art - 100% Handmade Necklace Pendant Miao Hmong Exquisite 999 Pure Silver Collection
~ Featuring ~
* EXIQUISITELY HANDCRAFTED: Handmade piece by piece, no factory mass production - 100% artistically crafted by highly skilled Miao Hmong artisans from the hill tribes in Southwest China *
* MATERIAL: Top quality 99.9% pure silver - A higher purity standard than 925 sterling silver - *
* ETHICALLY SOURCED: Partnering with and directly sourcing from artisans of ethnic communities from Southwest China - A unique chance to help our social mission to improve the livelihood of marginalised ethnic minorities and preserve their cultural heritage! *
* INCREASINGLY RARE CRAFTSMANSHIP, INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE: Handcrafted in filigree, an ancient and increasingly extinguishing art only cultivated today by Miao people and few Han Chinese artisans in Central China - Meticulously created using Miao Hmong traditional silversmith techniques enlisted in China as National Intangible Heritage since 2006 *
* EXQUISITE ARTISTIC DESIGN EXPRESSING GENUINELY ETHNIC TALENT: A blend of uniquely aesthetic patterns and ethnic cultural meaning – Perfect combo for fashion lovers with arts ‘n’ crafts insight *
This astonishing necklace pendant makes your heart glowing with its exclusive shininess and creative appeal, skilfully crafted by Miao artists in naturally sparkling pure silver filigree. Featuring the typically allegoric language of Miao art, this pendant powerfully combines highly imaginative abstraction with obsession for detail, effect as it happens in a dream vision, mixing exquisitely vivid floral patterns, butterflies, dragonflies, with equally accurate geometries, merging reality and fantasy as in a dream vision. Makes a fabulous match with low-cut Caftan dresses to highlight your neckline and express your creativity through fashion.
Miao Hmong Silver Crafting: An Intangible Cultural Heritage
Miao Hmong people living in Southwest China, Northern Thailand, Vietnam and Laos are worldly renowned for their rich artistic heritage and incredible manufacturing skills that they express through their unique clothing and exquisite jewelry. Silversmithing is a long-established male tradition with strong cultural connotation and artistic value, featuring both a high level of creativity and technical sophistication. In China, Miao silver crafting was enlisted in national cultural heritage in 2006.
999 Silver Jewelry
Each unique piece is crafted from 999 silver, which contains at least 99.9% silver and just 0.1% of other metals, generally copper or white brass. Pure silver is very bright and malleable. Because of this softness, it is considered hard to craft into jewelry. Most silversmiths worldwide therefore use sterling (a.k.a. 925) silver, an alloy composed by 92.5% of silver and of other metals by 7.5%. Miao Hmong artisans possess the exceptional skills for crafting purer silver using time-consuming techniques.
Watch the following video to discover how Miao people use silver in daily attire:
The Longlost Art of Chinese Filigree
Lāsī, (拉丝, wire drawing) or filigree is a traditional Chinese crafting art. Due to its laboriousness, filigree is increasingly rare today and even in China only Miao crafters and few artisans from Beijing and Chengdu are able to master it. The technique distinctively consists of soldering small pieces, rather than chiselling or engraving one piece of metal, normally gold or silver. The metal is first melted in a charcoal furnace. Once solidified, it is hammered into a thin bar which is then cut and pull with tweezers into several wires as thin as hair. Finally, the design is created by twisting the wires into one sturdy wire that is embedded in a silver frame. Ever changing patterns creatively celebrate nature and life through symbolism.
Watch a real Miao silversmith at work:
Item #: MILS999CYDZ101
Measurements: 0.5 x 0.5 inches
Material: 99.9% pure silver (higher silver purity standard than 925 silver); Weight: 4.2 g
Care instructions: Pure silver is very delicate and subject to oxidation. Polish delicately with a silver cleaning cloth to remove oxidation stains. Store in a box when not used.
Help Us to Help!
With this purchase you contribute to our great cause! Interact China is a social enterprise committed to improve the livelihood of marginalised ethnic minorities and preserve their cultural heritage by promoting their products worldwide. We travel around China and Southeast Asia to work directly with the local artisans and bring their beautiful handicrafts directly at your door. Thank you for supporting us!